The Megger Impulse Generator (Thumper)
MIG16-2 is designed to provide quick, effective, accurate and safe fault location, reducing system outages and customer minutes lost.The instrument comes in a rugged yet portable enclosure. Its IP64 rating makes it suitable for use in even environmentally hostile conditions.The MIG16-2 offers the facility to undertake cable testing: cable and fault diagnosis and pinpoint fault location using acoustic methods.
- Easy-to-use manual controls
- Safety interlocks to prevent injury to operators
- Safety interlocks to prevent any switching during high voltage generation.
- 2-ranges ensure 100% of energy available at 8 & 16 kV
- Powerful 1500 joules output assists rapid, accurate pinpoint fault location even in difficult locations
- High visibility HV status bar
- External interlock
- Detachable HV cable
- Ergonomically designed transport handles and foot-step allow for easy and comfortable transporation.
- Output: 0 - 20 kV (negative with regard to earth)
- 0 – 10 kV, 115 mA constant
- 0 – 20 kV, 58 mA constant
- Resolution: 5 mA
- Metering: Analog metering of current and voltage
- Proof/burn: 0 - 20 kV 58 mA
- 0 - 10 kV 115 mA
Pinpoint Fault Location
- Surge: 0 - 8 and 0 -16 kV, @ 1500 joule
- Impulse sequence: Adjustable 5 – 30 seconds Single shot
- HV: Detachable 15 m (50 ft) 1-phase flexible shielded cable with
- HV crock-clips
- Input/supply: Input cable
- Ground: 15 m (50 ft) 8 mm2 flexible ground cable with vice grips
HV testing (proof/insulation testing)
Used to prove the integrity of (and identify and confirm) fault conditions in cable networks. The variable output voltage can also be used for sheath testing at 5 or 10 kV.
Following a breakdown of the cable under test, a high current is applied that stabilizes the fault condition. This can assist pre-location and pinpointing of unstable faults.
Pinpoint fault location
Accurate pinpoint fault location is achieved using the acoustic method, whereby the powerful 8/16 kV 1500-joule surge generator (thumper) and an acoustic receiver (Megger MPP2000) is used.