TIA/EIA-568-B is a family of Telecommunications Standards that the Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) TR-42 Technical Committee has broken the standard into a series of documents known as B.1, B.2 and B.3. The '568-B.1 document contains the information needed for designing, installing, and field testing a generic structured cabling system. The '568-B.2 and '568-B.3 documents contain manufacturing and component reliability test specifications for cable, patch cords and connecting hardware. The '568-B.3 document was published in April 2000 and is applicable to optical fiber components. The '568-B.2 document specifies the electrical and mechanical requirements of unshielded (UTP) and screened (F/UTP) balanced twisted-pair components. The standard addresses requirements for category 3 and 5e cabling and component requirements. Both '568-B.1 and '568-B.2 were published in June 2001.
TIA/EIA-5608-B is comprised of the following:
- ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.1 - COMMERCIAL BUILDING TELECOMMUNICATIONS CABLING STANDARD
- ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.1-1 - Patch Cord Bend Radius
- ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.1-2 - Grounding & Bonding
- ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.1-3 - Supportable Distances for Optical Fiber
- ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.1-4 - Recognition of Category 6 & 850 Laser Optimized 50/125µm Multimode Optical Fiber Cabling
- ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.2 - 100 OHM TWISTED PAIR CABLING STANDARDS
- ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.2-1 - Category 6
- ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.2-2 - Revisions to TIA/EIA-568-B.2
- ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.2-3 - Additional Considerations for Insertion Loss and Return Loss Pass/Fail Determination
- ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.2-4 - Solderless Connection Reliability Requirements for Copper Connecting Hardware
- ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.2-5 - Corrections to TIA/EIA-568-B.2-5
- ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.3 - OPTICAL FIBER STANDARDS
- ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.3-1 - Additional Specifications for 50/125µm Fiber Optic Cables
TIA/EIA-568-C is the current version of this standard that comprises the previous edition TIA-568-B family of Standards into four main documents. This decision was driven by the need to have one common standard that could be used to address generic cabling needs when a specific premise standard, such as the commercial building, data center, residential, or industrial standard, does not exist. This common content applies to previously unsupported environments such as non‑office areas of an airport or stadium and also serves as a repository of generic requirements that are applicable to all specific premise and component standards.
TIA/EIA-568-C family of standards contains the following main documents:
- ANSI/TIA-568-C.0, “Generic Telecommunications Cabling for Customer Premises”, published 2009
- ANSI/TIA-568-C.1, “Commercial Building Telecommunications Cabling Standard”, published 2009
- ANSI/TIA-568-C.2, “Balanced Twisted-Pair Telecommunication Cabling and Components Standard”, published 2009
- ANSI/TIA-568-C.3, “Optical Fiber Cabling Components Standard”, published 2008, errata issued in October, 2008
- ANSI/TIA-568-C.4, “Broadband Coaxial Cabling and Components Standard”, published 2011
Retrieved 03/12/14 from Siemon
Products Used in Testing:
Fluke DSX-5000 CableAnalyzer
The Fluke DSX-5000 CableAnalyzer copper test solution offers a 10 second Cat 6a / Class EA test time and 12,000 Cat 6A internal memory with plots. This unit certifies twisted pair Cat 5e, 6, 6A and Class FA cabling with limits...
Viavi Certifier40G Copper Cable Certifier
The Certifier40G is not only the most advanced solution available, it is also the fastest and most complete. Whether certifying copper or fiber, users will get the job done right and on time…the first time!  ...