A battery's internal impedance increases with decreasing capacity due to various conditions such as age, ambient temperature, discharge history, etc. The BITE 2P measure impedance values and DC voltage for lead-acid and nickel-cadmium cells up to 7000 Ah capacity. Impedance finds electrical path problems due to plate sulphation, post-seal corrosion, dry-out, and poor intracell and intercell connections. This information lets the operator determine maintenance needs such as:
Cell replacement criteria based on impedance trends
Typical installations that can be tested using the AVO BITE 2P include:
- Jumpering out a cell or two
- Clean and/or re-torque intercell connectors
- Shorten the maintenance interval, etc.
- Electrical power generation plants
- Substations: utility, railroad, industrial
- Telecommunications facilities: CO, Wireline, Wireless, MTSO
- UPS systems.
- Railroad: Signals and Communications, substation
- Aircraft power supplies
- Marine, military
- and many other applications