A bidirectional power supply, also referred to as a bidirectional DC power supply, is the newest technology in DC power sources. It is more efficient than a traditional electronic load and capable of performing multiple functions within the same instrument.
What Is A Bidirectional Power Supply?
Incorporating both a DC power supply and a DC electronic load, bidirectional power supplies are used for electrical testing and allow electricity to flow in two directions. This is accomplished by DC/DC and AC/DC converters inside the device which allow the energy to regenerate back into the grid. Unlike traditional electronic loads which convert this energy into heat, these all-in-one devices are able to return power back to the source, negating the use of an electronic sink to maintain proper thermal management. As a result, they are smaller in size and work more efficiently.
Using A Bidirectional Power Supply
In the event that the Device Under Test (DUT) is a rechargeable battery, charging and discharging the battery is possible with a single unit. One quadrant generates power while the other quadrant absorbs it, allowing the power to flow back into the DUT and simulate recharging.
- Two-quadrant operation: source and load functions
- High power densities
- Wide range of voltage and current combinations in constant power
- Auto sequencing programming
- Voltage and current slew rate control
- Bi-directional source and regenerative sink
- Supports multiple working modes
Please note that features will vary between models.
Choosing The Right Bidirectional Power Supply
ATEC offers several bidirectional power supplies from industry-leading manufacturers, including Chroma and ITECH. To learn more about our rental options, feel free to reach out to an ATEC rental agent or request a quote on our website.
Bidirectional Power Supply Rental
- Chroma 62180D-100 Bidirectional DC Power Supply
- Chroma 62180D-600 Bidirectional DC Power Supply
- Chroma 62180D-1800 Bidirectional DC Power Supply
- ITECH IT6018C-1500-40 Bidirectional Programmable DC Power Supply