EN 50173 group of standards specifies:
- The structure and configuration of the backbone cabling subsystems of generic cabling systems within the types of premises defined by the EN 50173 series of standards
- Channel performance requirements in support of the EN 50173 series of standards
- Link performance requirements in support of the EN 50173 series of standards
- Backbone cabling reference implementations in support of the standards in the EN 50173 series
- Component performance requirements in support of the standards in the EN 50173 series
The standard series of EN 50173 is divided into five areas for various applications and covers application-neutral communication cablings for information technology.
- EN 50173-1 General requirements
- EN 50173-2 Office buildings
- EN 50173-3 Industrially used buildings
- EN 50173-4 Private residential units
- EN 50173-5 Computing centers
There is also a difference in the individual components such as cables and connection technology and also in the installation of these components.
The individual components are classified into the following categories:
- Category 5 up to 100 MHz
- Category 6 up to 250 MHz
- Category 6A up to 500 MHz
- Category 7 up to 600 MHz
- Category 7A up to 1000 MHz
A distinction is drawn between installed components according to transmission classes:
- Class D up to 100 MHz
- Class E up to 250 MHz
- Class EA up to 500 MHz
- Class F up to 600 MHz
- Class FA up to 1000 MHz
Certification and checking of the limiting values for the measurement technology of the installed transmission routes.
A distinction is drawn between two models for the transmission routes for the cabling.
Permanent links are those which cover the laid installation cable and also the patch panel permanently connected to the end of the cable and the junction box.
Channel Links are those where the patch cable also used in the patch panel and the junction box can also be measured together with the components of the Permanent Link.
Retrieved 3/12/14 from Fair Distribution
Products Used in Testing:
Fluke Networks Rental Equipment
Fluke DTX-1800 Level IV Cat 5E/6/7 Cable Analyzer & Certifier
Check out the new DSX Cable Analyzer Series
The Fluke DTX-1800 Digital Cable Analyzer Series gives you a complete solution that streamlines every aspect of the certification job - from setup, to...
Viavi Certifier40G Copper Cable Certifier
The Viavi Certifier40G, also referred to as the Viavi NGC-4500, is not only the most advanced solution available, it is also the fastest and most complete. Whether certifying copper or fiber, users will get the job done right...